Join OLYMPIA today and make some surgery sweet candy at home. Starburst are her favourite snack, maybe it will be yours too!?
Ingredients **it is also helpful to have a digital candy or food thermometer
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter (plus more for greasing pan and hands)
- 1 package of Kool-Aid drink mix
- 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- In a large saucepan mix the sugar and the cornstarch until no lumps can be seen.
- Add the water, corn syrup and butter and begin heating over medium high heat. Stir until it starts to boil and then stop stirring.
- Cook until the temperature reaches 250 F. It will take several minutes to get to this temperature, be careful, when the temperature gets to about 240F it will start to rise very quickly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Kool-Aid powder and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture out onto a greased cookie sheet or one covered with a silicone mat.
- Wait about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- Grease hands with butter and break off a small portion.
- Pull and stretch it until the colour changes to a pale colour and the taffy hardens a bit. You might have to re-grease your hands several times during this process.
- Form into a ball shape and cut into small pieces and wrap pieces in small squares of waxed paper.
- This can be stored at room temperature.