Welcome to Week 6! Join staff & fellow treasure hunters for a week of creativity and fun! Tune in and explore alongside Flipper as we make under the sea creatures today in craft.
- Egg carton (Substitutes: plain paper)
- Paint (Substitutes: markers (variety of colours))
- Construction paper
- Glue or tape
- Pencil (for drawing)
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Pom Poms
- Shoe box or additional egg carton (for under water landscape)
- Grab your materials and have them nearby.
- With an adult’s help, get the carton into individual cups as needed. If you do not have an egg carton, feel free to draw & cut out a cube or rectangular prism onto paper (pdf provided for reference).
- To make a crab, turtle, and whale: cut one egg cup.
- To make a shell or oyster: cut two egg cups together.
- To make an egg carton landscape: use about 4, 6, or 8 egg cups together.
- Once your cups or cut out or you have your paper cubes, it is time to decorate! You can use whatever colours you like, or even create your own creatures.
- To make a crab, turtle, and whale: paint or colour red, green, or blue respectfully.
- To make a shell or oyster: leave white or paint/colour brown.
- To make an egg carton landscape: colour blue for water, and create green leaves as seaweed, add brown for sand, etc.
- Let paint dry. It is time to continue decorating, adding details. Here are some general ideas:
- Eyes: Using white paint, paint a circle and let dry. Go back with black paint or black marker inside the white to add a pupil. You can also use white paper and draw a circle/ pupil. If available, googly eyes may be a simple option, however not needed.
- Fins/ Claws: use a variety of construction paper to draw claws, fins, or a tail for your creatures. Cut out and attach to your creature with glue or tape.
- Using optional materials: pompoms can be used to create a head (ie. for a turtle, the pompom could be the head and egg cup used for its shell). Pipe cleaners can be used to add legs (ie. using pipe cleaners to stick to the crab’s body).
- Optional step: using the rest of the egg carton, or empty box, paint or decorate a landscape for your creatures to be in! This can be done with paint or a single sheet of construction paper.
- Activity: send in your creatures and landscape to our showcase, and tell us a bit about a story using your creatures!